Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oscar blindness.

I've seen many films this year. I own most if not all of the nominated soundtracks. I don't care who wins. It's not meaningful to me to see a sticker placed upon movie or cd packaging that something won an award. Due credit should be given to all nominees, regardless of the category. All those involved had different challenges, different working styles, and definitely different budgets. Comparing Zimmer to Reznor, 127 Hours to Black Swan on levels that are supposedly equated with elitist prospects of 'goodness' and 'great film' are beyond my understanding. They're all great. All in their own individual ways.

And that is why I don't care who wins Sunday night. I'll be watching, but only because I want to see all the great fashion faux-pas.

Oscar blindness is the viewpoint from which I see award shows. It could be an academy, a line of truck drivers, or a houseful of young mothers. All have valid opinions on what they watch and what they'd like to see: just as movies and film have been less art and more business, so loses the relevance of the 'award' show.

We're not awarding any prestige, I'd say. We're actually just letting them know that yes, you're not done making money on this film, and yes, things will get better for you, simply because the 'academy' said 'go'.

Film is long past as art. It is beautiful, and present, but no longer appreciated as art. We can all take that elite or film studies major stance and look at it critically but truthfully and unfortunately the critical viewpoint is no longer of value in our society. Money is.

So Oscar blindness, being 'blind' or totally ignorant (out of my own intention) about who wins or why they win or anything other than me liking the film (if it is art after all, then why shouldn't there be multiple readings?) just creates a lot of tension between myself and the 'academy' or academic community.

Let me explain: I love film, and I can decipher or critique one should I choose, but most films aren't being made for that anymore. Just like a lot of music isn't being made to just be LISTENED to anymore.

Again, come Oscar night I won't care to remember who won... but I bet I'll be excited when the film I liked wins: because I know that they're getting at least some credit (monetary or 'prestige') for making me happy, at least for two hours at a time. That goes for soundtracks too.

No comments:

Post a Comment