Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Years Irresolutions

Every year, people resolve to get fit, or to lose weight. By people, I mean a multi million dollar amount of people. Getting fit is NOT cheap-- unless, of course, you go to Laurier. Included in your tuition is a gym pass. It's not all-access, but it's more than enough to get you moving. Included in your gym pass is unlimited use of the pool and fitness centre, but not of spin classes and wellness classes like yoga. All the really good stuff is extra.
But don't let that stop you!

I started my 'fitness' journey back in June. I had a pulmonary function test to see if I had asthma. At the test, I was weighed: it wasn't the fact the number was high, but that it was lower than I had remembered...I had lost 15 pounds since December 2009 without trying. A lot of that was stress, and although I am a self-professed stress eater, I know that Winter 09 was a very rough semester for me. I could easily justify how I lost the weight.

Between that visit (which turned out normal, no signs of inflammation), and the boredom that ensued without a job, I decided to start running. Just around the neighbourhood, I thought to myself, and only in the evenings or when it rained (love the cool feeling of rain in the summer!). I got tired of the high impact and stress on my knees that came with road running--I also didn't want to be seen billowing down the street, huffing and puffing my way. I decided to pay a visit to the Athletic Complex fitness centre: a place that I have actually been to a lot, despite my sloth lifestyle. I used to swim, and run, before I would mysteriously get sick (just sick enough) and stop for awhile. My fitness life was running in circles, and I would always get back to the same weight, or a little higher.

It wasn't about the weight, not this time. I was tired of working and dieting and trying to shed pounds. What was it all for? Was there a difference between fit and fat? I kept thinking to myself, that if I was going to lose weight it was because I was in shape and it just happened, NOT because I was trying to. I wanted to be able to run a marathon. I wanted to be able to wear a size of jeans that didn't make me feel like a porker. Sure, we all have our insecurities, and I won't even go as far to say that mine was my weight: I am a confident person. Weight was simply an issue. I didn't want to sit on my ass all day any longer.

I started out, as I said, mostly running. To this day I hate treadmills; I won't go near one, I prefer ellipticals when I go that route due to the ease on the knees. At first I just would do 15 minute intervals on a bike, an elliptical and then my favourite: the row machine! That machine would make my day: I could spend hours if I were in the right rhythm, with the right music. I'd hit up the AC three times a week for at least an hour: I figured that was enough, and in retrospect I probably could have done more. I'm lazy, and it was right for me at the time. It was more than enough effort to get to the gym (15 minute walk) so I feel this was a start. Somehow, my schedule worked out in the first semester so I could go an hour three times a week, come home and get redressed and still be back for class on time. A small miracle in itself.

I've had to buy almost an entire new wardrobe: a cost most students including myself really cannot afford. Almost all of it has had to go on credit. It wasn't just a fun purchase, it was a necessity: my pants were falling off. Very irritating when the culture here seems to be very fitted; and lululemon Wunder Unders are the best thing ever.

Which, I have to say they are: I bought my own recently, at 78 dollars they weren't cheap. But looking in the mirror and seeing two legs instead of one, with clear definition--and knowing that it's cause I can easily bike 30km-- that's what fitness is about. Fitness isn't being in shape, it's not being thin; it's about living your life in response to your body's needs. I now feel amazing, am more confident than ever (my friends would agree it's not necessarily a good thing haha) and I love exercise. I love the rush, the high you get when you finish an hour-long cyclefit class. It keeps me mellow, and calm during the stress of exams, which are marathons in themselves.

I might start a daily diary, about training for a marathon sometime soon; maybe this summer. So stay tuned. I'm starting a new semester of cyclefit this week as well, and after today I've never wanted to do an hour long push session of spinning so badly.

I guess you could say I'm a little addicted.

So take it from me, it's not easy, but it's worth it. It also doesn't have to be one of those things that you just wake up to and say: "hey, I think I'll lose 40 pounds this summer," or whatever. It can be baby steps, a yoga class, or finding a buddy to bike with. You don't have to set a goal, but you have to stick with what you got: whatever you do, don't turn back. It's the future, and you're going to get there. Might as well row. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment