Sunday, June 20, 2010

I love remotes

They're called remote controls, (not converters) and I love them. I am probably one of the laziest beings to crawl this fine earth and I enjoy the simple luxuries when I have them. The one I enjoy the most-- at least at this moment I do- is the remote control. I recently installed an air conditioner in the window in my bedroom (as 30+ degrees Celsius weather is not prime for sleeping) and it came with a remote. To my joy I am able to turn it off, on, up or down from my bed, and even attach it magnetically to my bed frame. What a wonderful invention.

Of course, the worst part about these useful things is that since they're usually sleek and small they're so easy to lose! SOOO easy to lose! Usually they're lost in the most obvious of places (inside the couch, in your father's back pocket, underneath the bed... but yet there is a market for replacement universal remotes, so people are lazy enough that they replace it rather than finding it.

Another downside to the remote control is the fact these babies require batteries. Batteries, of course, being those little chemical-filled thingies that end up polluting precious groundwater and end up in landfills... and even when they are recycled, it requires a tremendous amount of energy to transform them into new things. Best to use rechargeables!

I know what you're thinking: "You're whining about people throwing out batteries when you're using an air conditioner in a room less than 200 sq-ft?"
Yeah, I am. And you know why? Because lowering the temperature a few degrees in a room uses a LOT less energy than cooling the entire house, and even more less than trying to run a swimming pool. If you have other ideas on how to keep cool please share! I used to be running a fan non-stop in the room but it was still ungodly hot in here at night.

I'm an insomniac already, I don't need help from the heat!
But about those remote controls... now they're handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment