Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The New Loop

I like to walk, but only when I'm not going anywhere in particular, have nowhere else to be and the weather is okay. I can walk for miles. One time I walked home from school. It's a 20 minute drive, but it's a 2 hour walk.

Walking, you see things you normally wouldn't see when you're driving. For instance, I meet all kinds of people, see and smell the most beautiful flowers and get probably the best workout ever without putting much effort.

I put on my iPod of course, and I have a playlist: the Pride and Prejudice Soundtrack (Dario Marinelli is amazing), Snow Patrol, and of course Explosions in the Sky. It's all semi-soft flowy kind of music that just lets my feet do the work.
If I listened to my regular music I would have gotten the urge to run, and I never wear running gear when I go walking. (-gross!)

I'm so used to the sights and sounds of my neighbourhood now, I try to make my way in a new direction every day (providing it's not raining or being disgusting out), and last night I went to Sobeys on Northfield and Weber. It's about 3 km each way, so nothing crazy... But now that I remember seeing signs for the St. Jacobs Farmer's Market I'm kinda mad that I didn't go further. I guess I know where I'm walking this Saturday!

Walking gives me the moment to eliminate all the bad and shitty memories or thoughts I might be thinking about, and lets me reacquaint myself with the moment; I never understood why I loved it so much until I moved here, and started walking again.

When I lived in Pembroke, I would walk 12km every day after dinner, for no reason. I would watch the sunset from the top of TV tower rd., and then walk to the Cemetery and back down through the old rail-road tracks. The "loop" as I called it, was alternated with running and walking throughout the summer keeping me active and happy. Sometimes it rained, which was great because there's nothing more beautiful than being soaking wet surrounded by green foliage under a night sky.

There you have it folks, just another one of the things that keeps me alive, and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment