Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It Takes You Back

Another oldie that I enjoy re-reading.

Kicking cans on side streets
the smell of summer plays with your hair
a double jump to avoid stepping on cracks
Trying to remember when life wasn't so complicated
No jobs, no degrees, no boyfriends who didn't call
I used to just sit in silence
and enjoy the sweetness of cold breath on skin
I drink to youth, to living as a child
Paint to canvas; bow to violin
Brush that little curl of red hair behind my ear
It takes me back, to love
when it didn't hurt to smile, and just friends
was all we were
Now I'm confused, and trying to piece together
nights of Phils and walks home...

Love hurts, but sometimes its a good hurt
It reminds you you're alive; it transcends the bad things
(without love you can't survive)
Old songs, like the blare of a radio on a dock;
I miss the lakes, the rivers of Old Ontario;
Home hurts, but sometimes you can't go back
And you spin around and around
but don't fall down
It takes me back, to times I thought were better
lying on the beach, I thought you'd replace me
with co-workers, and cohorts;

Last summer, I was always,
always wishing for life to start happening,
well, it did. Here I am, standing here
Waiting for someone to just tell me
that it's going to be a good summer

No comments:

Post a Comment